Very Best of Lightnin Hopkins - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 040
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Texas/W. Coast Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- James Austin; James Austin (Compilation)
- Blues Masters: The Very Best of Lightnin' Hopkins
Full title: Blues Masters: The Very Best Of Lightnin' Hopkins.
Personnel includes: Lightnin' Hopkins (vocals, guitar, piano); Thunder Smith (piano); Joel Hopkins (guitar); Sonny Terry (harmonica); Donald Cooks, Leonard Gaskin (bass); Belton Evans (drums).
Recorded between 1941 and 1961. Includes liner notes by David Ritz.
Digitally remastered by Bob Fisher.
Personnel: Sonny Terry (vocals, harmonica); Joel Hopkins (guitar); Thunder Smith (piano); Belton Evans (drums).
Audio Remasterer: Bob Fisher .
Liner Note Authors: David Ritz; Charlie Musselwhite.
Recording information: Houston, TX (11/04/1946-07/13/1961); Los Angeles, CA (11/04/1946-07/13/1961); New York, NY (11/04/1946-07/13/1961).
A seminal figure in the history of the blues, vocalist/guitarist Sam "Lightnin'" Hopkins specialized in the spare, rural sound pioneered by Robert Johnson and Blind Lemon Jefferson. Hopkins is well represented by this excellent 16-track Rhino collection, which draws from the bluesman's 1940s, '50s, and '60s material. Although the tunes occasionally feature some minimal backing, Hopkins, like many blues legends (particularly the aforementioned artists), is at his best when it's just his weathered voice and a guitar, as on the ominous "Shotgun Blues" and the pleading classic "Baby Please Don't Go." Some sessions, such as the appropriately energetic "Coffee Blues," find Hopkins trading in his acoustic guitar for an electric, but regardless of his six-string choice, he's always in prime form. Although there are other fine, and, in some cases, more comprehensive Hopkins compilations on the market, this wisely selected overview of his peak years is still one of the best available.
- Country of Origin
- WEA (Distributor)
- Lightnin' Hopkins
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Katie Mae
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Shotgun Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Baby Please Don't Go
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Automobile Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Give Me Central 209 (Hello Central)
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Coffee Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I'm Beggin' You
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Contrary Mary
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Moanin' Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Penitentiary Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Fan It
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Conversation Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Last Night Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Mighty Crazy
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Mojo Hand
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Baby Don't You Tear My Clothes
- Studio / Live
- Q (4/01, p.123) - 3 stars out of 5 - "...He did sexual jealousy and economic bitterness as well as anybody. But more so than Robert Johnson...there was always ribaldry afoot..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.