Words & Music:Greatest Hits - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 3 790
Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Hard Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- John Mellencamp
- Words And Music: John Mellencamp's Greatest Hits [Digipak]
Liner Note Author: Jann Wenner.
Photographer: Norman Seeff.
Over the course of nearly 30 years, more than 15 albums, four name changes, and one near-death experience, John Mellencamp forged a widely imitated sound that established the blueprint for the musical sub-genre commonly referred to as "Heartland Rock." The Indiana native made a name for himself by combining a powerful, Stones-like guitar attack with a country twang, along with rhythms informed by tough, blue-eyed soul and a lean lyrical style dotted with striking Steinbeck-esque rural imagery.
Remarkably enough, Mellencamp pulled the unusual trick of becoming a genuine pop superstar while maintaining a regular-guy image. Close listening to any of the tracks on WORDS & MUSIC, however, reveals Mellencamp's secret--he really is a regular guy. Tunes such as the defiant "Authority Song" and the gentle "Hand to Hold On To" are sung without a trace of irony, which is a big part of his music's appeal. Another thing that separates Mellencamp from his contemporaries is his willingness to tinker with his signature sound. The man who made the accordion cool in rock again raps on "Peaceful World," and, on 2004's "Walk Tall," even employs the services of R&B producer Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds--not too bad for an ordinary guy.
- Country of Origin
- Studio / Live
- John Mellencamp
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Walk Tall
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Pink Houses
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Lonely Ol' Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Jackie Brown
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Rain On the Scarecrow
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Love and Happiness
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Check It Out
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Peaceful World
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Paper In Fire
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Your Life is Now
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Human Wheels
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] When Jesus Left Birmingham
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Authority Song
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] What If I Came Knocking
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Crumblin' Down
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Small Town
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Cherry Bomb
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Pop Singer
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Thank You
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Martha Say
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First)
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Hand To Hold On To
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] I Need a Lover
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Hurts So Good
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Get a Leg Up
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Wild Night
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Dance Naked
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Teardrops Will Fall
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Ain't Even Done With the Night
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Just Another Day
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Jack & Diane
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Rumble Seat
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] I'm Not Running Anymore
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] Again Tonight
- [ Disc 02 Track 17 ] This Time
- [ Disc 02 Track 18 ] Now More Than Ever
- Universal Distribution
- Rolling Stone (No. 966, p.64) - 4 stars out of 5 - "[M]ore than just an impressive retrospective from the bard of Belmont, Indiana....[features] a cherry-picked selection of lesser-known gems..."
- 147m 38s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.