Anthology - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 590
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rick James (Bass)
Personnel includes: Rick James (vocals, arranger, various instruments);
Teena Marie, Smokey Robinson (vocals); Grandmaster Flash, Roxanne Shante
(rap vocals); John McFee (guitar); Daniel LeMelle (saxophone); Roy Poper (trumpet); John Ervin (trombone); Roy Ayers (vibraphone); Randy Dunlap, Cheryl Dunlap (background vocals).
Producer: Rick James.
Compilation producer: Harry Weinger.
Recorded between 1978 & 1988. Includes liner notes by David Ritz.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Of the many Rick James hits compilations available, ANTHOLOGY is one of the best. James was the flagship artist at Motown throughout the late 1970s and '80s, keeping the sound of the label vital and contemporary long after the heyday of the Temptations and Smokey Robinson. Over the course of two discs and 28 tracks, ANTHOLOGY surveys the length of James's Motown tenure, extending all the way up to 1988's "Loosey's Rap" (featuring Roxanne Shante), and representing the performer's mix of classic R&B, disco-inflected dance-floor anthems, '80s electro-groove, and hard party funk.
Like the best Motown artists, James had an outstanding ear as an arranger and producer. His songs feature roiling beds of rhythm, burbling synthesizers, sharp horn charts, swirling strings, and unfolding choruses of male and female backup singers. The biggest hits--"You and I" (James's first single), the exuberant "Give It to Me Baby," and the irrepressible "Super Freak (Part 1)," his signature song--are here. However, the set is also packed with other gems, including collaborations with Smokey Robinson ("Ebony Eyes"), the Temptations ("Standing on the Top [Part 1]"), and Teena Marie ("Fire and Desire"). ANTHOLOGY works perfectly as a retrospective, and as a top-notch sampler of this funk icon's work. (Note: The 22-track GOLD collection features many of the selections found here.)
- Universal Motown
- Studio / Live
- Mono / Stereo
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] You And I
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Mary Jane
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Hollywood
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Bustin' Out (On Funk)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Fire It Up
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Love Gun
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Come Into My Life
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] When Love Has Gone
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Big Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Island Lady
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Give It To Me Baby
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Super Freak
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Fire And Desire
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Dance Wit' Me
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Standing On The Top - (featuring Rick James)
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Hard To Get
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Happy
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] 69 Times
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] My Love
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] U Bring The Freak Out
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Cold Blooded
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Ebony Eyes - (featuring Smokey Robinson)
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] P.I.M.P. The S.I.M.P.
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] 17
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Glow
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Moon Child
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Sweet And Sexy Thing
- Universal Distribution
Q (9/02, p.126) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...It's hard to argue with music this determined..."
Mojo (Publisher) (9/02, p.116) - "James pulls out all the stops, drawing from jazz and old-school R&B riffs and reggae, Detroit soul, and even rock 'n' roll...this is a well-annotated anthology that paints an honest picture of the artist and his oeuvre, [however] raw and revealing it may be."
No reviews yet.