Dark Was the Night (Mojo Workin Blues - (Import CD)
Blind Willi Johnson
Discovery Miles 1 050
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Texas/W. Coast Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- Lawrence Cohn (Compilation)
- Dark Was the Night
Personnel: Blind Willie Johnson (vocals, acoustic guitar); Willie B. Harris (vocals).
Includes liner notes by Jas Obrecht.
Digitally remastered by David Mitson (1998, Sony Music Studios, Los Angeles, California).
This is part of Legacy's Mojo Workin' series.
Even in the blues, a style capable of wrenching unexplainable emotions from its audience, Blind Willie Johnson has few equals. With a voice capable of alternating effortlessly between sublime, trembling tenor and the sound of pure gravel, and unparalleled skill with the bottleneck (and knife), Johnson recorded 30 sides for Columbia (1927-1930) that stand as a high-water mark for both country blues and raw gospel. Given the fact that his entire output has been issued by both Yazoo and Columbia, it's difficult to imagine opting for this single disc. Anyone looking for more material will be forced to purchase sets with redundant selections. Still, if you are only seeking one collection, you cannot go wrong with Dark Was the Night. Included are both "God Moves on the Water" and "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground," which are both utterly necessary, along with the classics "Praise God I'm Satisfied," "Jesus Make Up My Dying Bed," "John the Revelator," and 11 others. "God Moves" is a slide masterpiece in which Johnson's guitar interjections and responses become as captivating as his voice and a tale of the Titanic sinking at the will of God. "Dark Was the Night" is an otherworldly performance of gorgeously spun slide lines and Johnson's wordless moaning, aimed straight at the heart. Everything else on hand is nothing less than emotionally rich, consummately executed and spiritually charged blues at its very best. ~ Nathan Bush
- Country of Origin
- Columbia (USA)
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Blind Willie Johnson
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] If I Had My Way I'd Tear the Building Down
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Dark Was the Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Lord I Just Can't Keep From Cryin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Church, I'm Fully Saved Today
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Jesus Make up My Dying Bed
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Bye and Bye I'm Goin' to See the King
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Let Your Light Shine on Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] John the Revelator
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] I Know His Blood Can Make Me Whole
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] God Moves on the Water
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Trouble Will Soon Be Over
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Praise God, I'm Satisfied
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Mother's Children Have a Hard Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] It's Nobody's Fault But Mine
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Soul of a Man, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning
- Studio / Live
- Dirty Linen (8-9/99, p.69) - "...staggering in beauty and power. The timeless sound on Johnson's ancient recordings...is excellent. Every song is a journey into strange and dark places ruled by the power of one man's voice."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.