Davis Miles - Evolution Of The Groove (CD)
Discovery Miles 750
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- Evolution Of The Groove
- Country of Origin
- USA / Canada
- Sony Music
- Sony Music Distribution (
- Mono / Stereo
- JazzTimes (p.93) - "There are some marvelous outtake snippets from 'Freddy Freeloader'..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Freddie Freeloader - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Freedom Jazz Dance - (remix, with Nas)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] It's About That Time - (remix, with Carlos Santana)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Honky Tonk - (remix)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Black Satin - (remix)
- Release Date
- 21 August 2007
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Freddie Freeloader - (previously unreleased, Outtake)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Freedom Jazz Dance (Evolution of the Groove)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] It's About That Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Honky Tonk
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Black Satin
Personnel: Miles Davis (trumpet); Pat Thrall (guitar, palmas); Doyle Bramhall II (guitar); David Creamer, John McLaughlin (electric guitar); Charley Drayton (6-string guitar); Khalil Balakrishna (electric sitar); Bennie Maupin (bass clarinet); Wayne Shorter, Carlos Garnett (soprano saxophone); Cannonball Adderley (alto saxophone); John Coltrane (tenor saxophone); Olu Dara (trumpet); Wynton Kelly (piano); Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett (electric piano); Geri Allen (Fender Rhodes piano); Herbie Hancock (Clavinet); Harold 'Ivory' Williams (organ); Michael Henderson (electric bass); Dave Holland , Habib Faye , Paul Chambers, Ron Carter , Victor Bailey (bass guitar); Azize Faye, Jack DeJohnette, Vince Wilburn, Jr., Jimmy Cobb , Al Foster, Tony Williams , Billy Cobham, Billy Hart (drums); Ndongo Mbaye (talking drum); Badal Roy (tabla); Airto Moreira (percussion); Diego Carlin (keyboard programming); Erik Kussio, Todd Lea (drum programming).
Additional personnel: Nas (vocals); Carlos Santana (guitar).
Given the progressive trajectory of Miles Davis's career, and his genre-smashing tendencies, it's likely that if Miles Davis were alive today he'd be incorporating electronica and hip-hop into his jazz palette. The remix project EVOLUTION OF THE GROOVE imagines Miles in a contemporary context, taking classic Miles tracks and treating them with new production, beats, and overdubs from guest musicians including Nas, Carlos Santana, and others.
Nas's guest rap on "Freedom Jazz Dance" works surprisingly well, proving once again that Miles's music is so fluid and forward-thinking that it's adaptable to nearly any context. Elsewhere, Santana brings his soulful guitar work to "It's About That Time," and KIND OF BLUE's "Freddie Freeloader" gets a mid-tempo groove remix, but it's the dense, electronica re-visioning of "Honky Tonk" and "Black Satin," from Miles's electric period, that shine the brightest.
- Date Released
- 2007-06-01 00:00:00
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Miles Davis
- Lenny White; Teo Macero; Pat Thrall; Charley Drayton; Vince Wilburn, Jr.
- 14m 30s
- Oren Karpovsky; Jason Dale; Neeraj Khajanchi
No reviews yet.