De Stijl - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 490
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- De Stijl
The White Stripes: Jack White (vocals, guitar, piano, acoustic bass); Meg (drums, tambourine).
Additional personnel: Paul Henry Ossy (violin); John Szymanski (harmonica).
Recorded at Third Man Studio, Detroit, Michican.
Detroit's own "brother and sister" drum-and-guitar duo broke out of local obscurity with their eponymous debut, a primitive garage romp that borrowed liberally from Led Zeppelin, the Kinks, the Rolling Stones, various American bluesmen and other rock & roll stalwarts. With DE STIJL, the band eschews its earlier raw posings in favor of blues with a hint of art rock.
DE STIJL (literally translated, "the style," a European art movement that praises the virtue of simplicity in design), hints at a band that plays its music guided by simplicity in form and function. The 13 songs on DE STIJL show this stripped-down duo coming into their own with more complex arrangements and more varied instrumentation. DE STILJ features an electric violin, harmonica, and piano (played by singer Jack White). All in all, DE STIJL offers more dynamic range and melody than the band's debut and a (comparatively) slick production. From the confectionery pop bounce of "You're Pretty Good Looking," to the blues howler, "Hello Operator," to the dirge-like "Death Letter," DE STIJL is one step forward for a band deserving of a wider audience.
- Third Man Records
- Studio / Live
- The White Stripes
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] You're Pretty Good Looking (For A Girl)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Hello Operator
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Little Bird
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Apple Blossom
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] I'm Bound To Pack It Up
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Death Letter
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Sister, Do You Know My Name?
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Truth Doesn't Make A Noise
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Boy's Best Friend, A
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Let's Build A Home
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Jumble, Jumble
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Why Can't You Be Nicer To Me?
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Your Southern Can Is Mine
- WEA (Distributor)
Rolling Stone (4/11/02, p.107) - Ranked #34 in Rolling Stone's "50 Coolest Records" - "...Sexy, raw, weird, pretty..."
Spin (5/03, p.108) - "...The first three songs on DE STIJL are as good as modern music gets..."
Spin (p.116) - "DE STIJL nails the Stripes' expansion-by-subtraction MO."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.