Essential David Allan Coe - (Import CD)
David Allan Coe
Discovery Miles 1 590
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Gregg Geller (Compilation)
- The Essential David Allan Coe
Personnel: David Allan Coe (vocals, guitar); Eddie Adcock, Tommy Allsup, Warren Haynes (guitar); Lloyd Green, Pete Drake (steel guitar); John Hartford, Buddy Spicher (fiddle); Charlie McCoy (harmonica); Hargus "Pig" Robbins (keyboards); Henry Strzelecki (bass guitar); Buddy Harman (drums).
Though he wasn't an originator of the style, no one embraced the 1970s Outlaw Country aesthetic more wholeheartedly than David Allan Coe. He burst onto the country scene with a larger-than-life image and reputation; unconfirmed rumors abounded about him doing time for killing a man, and he came off as one of the roughest, hardest-living bad boys to ever hit Nashville. All the hype would have been for naught if Coe wasn't also an excellent songwriter and powerful performer.
THE ESSENTIAL DAVID ALLAN COE provides an excellent thumbnail sketch of Coe's career, hitting all the highlights. Coe's gift for self-mythologizing (an important skill in country music) is exemplified by his outlaw manifesto "Willie, Waylon and Me." "Take This Job and Shove It" was penned by Coe, but is best known as a huge hit for Johnny Paycheck, and it's great to hear it interpreted by its author. "If That Ain't Country" is emblematic of Coe's irresistible, in-your-face approach, and his ballad "Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone)," a hit for Tanya Tucker, presents another, more sensitive side of the hell-raising songwriter. Coe is a force of nature, a musical tornado bowling over everything in its path, and this collection is the measure of his devastating impact.
- Country of Origin
- Sony Music Distribution (
- David Allan Coe
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Ride, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] You Never Even Called Me by My Name
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Willie, Waylon and Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Longhaired Redneck
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] If That Ain't Country
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Take This Job and Shove It
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] If I Could Climb the Walls of the Bottle
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Jack Daniels, If You Please
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Tennessee Whiskey
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Now I Lay Me Down to Cheat
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Don't Cry Darlin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Need a Little Time Off For Bad Behavior
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.