Experimental Jet Set Trash and No St - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 870
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Butch Vig; Sonic Youth
- Experimental Jet Set, Trash & No Star
Sonic Youth: Thurston Moore, Lee Renaldo (vocals, guitar); Kim Gordon (vocals, bass); Steve Shelley (drums).
Recorded at Sear Sound, New York, New York.
Audio Mixer: Butch Vig.
Recording information: Sear Sound, New York, NY (1993).
Editor: Howie Weinberg.
Unknown Contributor Roles: Sonic Youth; Ed Raso; Devin Emke; Ollie Cotton; Fred Kevorkian; Walter E. Sear; Bill Emmons .
Have Sonic Youth inclined, ever so slightly, towards some sort of mainstream rock credibility? Not really. It's more likely that purveyors of popular song forms have finally made their peace with Sonic Youth, who've remained true to their vision long enough to see elements of their innovations popularized by grunge bands, modern classical minimalists and the like.
The music on EXPERIMENTAL JET SET, TRASH AND NO STAR shows that Sonic Youth is more than capable of having their cake and eating it, too. While the rock-solid drumming of Steve Shelly and the taut bass lines of Kim Gordon grounds their work in a palpable backbeat, the twin guitar thrash of Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo transcends pop cliches in a way that is still defiantly tense, moody and evocative.
Sonic Youth push the envelope of modern rock's avant garde, but as a collective ensemble in which individual egos are subsumed to the group sound. On "Bull In The Heather," Kim Gordon breathlessly renders images of need and desire in broken fragments of cliches and half-remembered promises, yet her vocals never eclipse the splintered shards of bell-tones and noise Moore and Ranaldo offer as a continual commentary. Not that there isn't some precedent in rock for such a balance: on "Starfield Road," with its go-go backbeat, odd tunings and ambient noise, Sonic Youth suggests the Eno-Manzanera experiments of early Roxy Music. Each song is like a separate world unto itself, making EXPERIMENTAL JET SET, TRASH AND NO STAR one of the most fiercely original albums to ever break the Billboard charts.
- Country of Origin
- Studio / Live
- Sonic Youth
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Winner's Blues
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Bull in the Heather
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Starfield Road
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Skink
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Screaming Skull
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Self-Obsessed and Sexxee
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Bone
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Androgynous Mind
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Quest for the Cup
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Waist
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Doctor's Orders
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Tokyo Eye
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] In the Mind of the Bourgeois Reader
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Sweet Shine
- Universal Distribution
- Alternative Press (5/94, p.73) - "...You won't hear this blasting on the beach during spring break; it won't appeal to folks who like their culture served to them on a stick. It don't get much cooler than this...."
- 47m 37s
- Video Disabled
- Butch Vig; John Siket
No reviews yet.