Fathers and Sons - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 790
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Chicago Blues
- Mono / Stereo
- Fathers and Sons [Remaster]
Personnel: Muddy Waters (vocals, guitar); Mike Bloomfield, Paul Asbell (guitar); Paul Butterfield, Jeff Carp (harmonica); Otis Spann (piano); Donald "Duck" Dunn, Phil Upchurch (bass); Buddy Miles, Sam Lay (drums).
Producer: Norman Drayton.
Reissue producer: Andy McKaie.
Recorded in Chicago, Illinois on April 21-23, 1969 and live at the Super Cosmic Joy-Scout Jamboree, Chicago, Illinois on April 24, 1969. Includes liner notes by Bill Dahl.
Digitally remastered by Erick Labson (universal Mastering-West, Hollywood, California)..
The resurgence of Chicago-based blues in the mid- to late 1960s came with an entirely new breed of icons to bear the torch. Among them were the decidedly electric Paul Butterfield Blues Band. Joining Muddy Waters (guitar/vocals) and Otis Spann (piano) on the aptly titled Fathers and Sons are three Butterfield Blues Band alumni: Michael Bloomfield (guitar), Sam Lay (drums), and leader Paul Butterfield (guitar). Further augmenting the personnel is Booker T. and the MG's Donald "Duck" Dunn (bass) and Buddy Miles (drums) -- who cameos during the live "Got My Mojo Workin'" finale. This all-star cast helps reclaim some of Waters' fire, which had been summarily doused on his previous outing Electric Mud -- a tasteless pseudo-psychedelic disaster. The poorly executed scheme had been designed to introduce Waters' music to a younger and mostly white audience. In essence, Fathers and Sons is able to accomplish with musical integrity what Electric Mud couldn't through gimmickry. Additionally, the incorporation of the younger generation blues men solidified Waters stature as one of the pre-eminent forces in Chicago Blues to a decidedly fresh and underdeveloped audience. The disc is split between studio sides cut on April 21-23 and a half-hour live set. This performance, during the Super Cosmic Joy-Scout Jamboree, was documented on the evening following the final day of studio recording. The event was held at Auditorium Theater in (where else?) Chicago. Simplifying the process is Fathers and Sons set list, which consists of exclusively vintage Waters material. "Mean Disposition" and "Standin' Round Cryin'" drip with Bloomfield and Butterfield's nasty languid electric funk and feature Waters' determined and energized vocals. On the up-tempo blues/rockers "Walking Thru the Park" and "Sugar Sweet" the nimble and lyrical guitar passages meld the distance between Waters and the electric blues of Cream and Led Zeppelin. The 2001 remastered CD edition includes four additional studio sides issued here for the first time: "Country Boy," "I Love The Life I Live (I Live The Life I Love)," "Oh Yeah," and "I Feel So Good." Without question, the highlight of Fathers and Sons is the live performances which are incessantly fuelled by the explosive nature of the musicians on stage as well as the audience. "Long Distance Call" and the two-part "Got My Mojo Working" are the finest pieces on the album. They likewise rate among the most complimentary marriages of Chicago R&B with rock & roll. Of Muddy Waters' later recordings, it certainly got no better than the summit meeting heard on Fathers and Sons. Fans of Waters' true and natural showmanship, as well as enthusiasts of blues-based rock & roll will find plenty to revisit. ~ Lindsay Planer
- Country of Origin
- Chess (USA)
- Universal Distribution
- Muddy Waters
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] All Aboard
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Mean Disposition
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Blow Wind Blow
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Walkin' Through the Park
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Forty Days and Forty Nights
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Standin' Round Cryin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] I'm Ready
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Twenty Four Hours
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Sugar Sweet
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Country Boy - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] I Love the Life I Live, I Live the Life I Love - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Oh Yeah - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] I Feel So Good - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Long Distance Call
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Baby Please Don't Go
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Honey Bee
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Same Thing, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Got My Mojo Working (Part 1)
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Got My Mojo Working (Part 2)
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Ron Malo; Reice Hamel
No reviews yet.