John Denver Definitive All Time Great - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 590
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Folk Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- John Denver; Barney Wyckoff; Milton Okun; Milton Okun; John Denver; Barney Wyckoff; Rob Santos (Compilation)
- Definitive All-Time Greatest Hits
Initials pressings include bonus disc.
Personnel: John Denver (vocals, guitar); Emmylou Harris, Pl cido Domingo (vocals).
Audio Mixer: Chris Theis.
Liner Note Authors: Milton Okun; David Wild.
Recording information: Goldstar Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA (??/1966-04/1983).
Photographer: Lowell Norman.
Arrangers: John Denver; Milton Okun; Dick Kniss; Lee Holdridge; Mike Taylor .
Placing the word definitive on a best-of collection is usually a panicked label attempt to fill last-minute Christmas stockings, but in the case of RCA's Definitive All-Time Greatest Hits John Denver retrospective, it's a truly apt description. Coinciding with the 35th anniversary of Denver's first album release on RCA, the two-disc, 24-track overview of the country-pop singer's storied career is the most concise and nuanced yet. Digitally remastered from the original master tapes, road-trip classics like "Take Me Home, Country Roads," "Rocky Mountain High," and "Back Home Again" are as warm as the singer's lauded tenor. There are no gimmicky re-recorded cuts or disappointing live tracks -- "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" spent its time on the charts in its live incarnation -- and his spotty '80s material is only briefly covered ("Perhaps Love" and "Shanghai Breezes"). The only real omission is "Grandma's Feather Bed," but the 20-page booklet and song-by-song commentary by longtime friend Milt Okun more than suffice. The bonus disc, maddeningly sparse at just four tracks, makes up for its brevity by including a goose bump-inducing 1975 acoustic version of "Calypso." With the pompous string section, clanging ship bell, and unnecessary drum fills removed, his ode to Jacques Cousteau's tenacious vessel is a wonder of emotion and nautical kinsmenship that inarguably exhibits Denver as one of the greatest vocalists of his time. For those unwilling to sift through the exhaustive four-CD Country Roads Collection, this Definitive package is a good buy and a rewarding visit with an old friend.
- Country of Origin
- BMG Heritage
- Studio / Live
- John Denver
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Leaving on a Jet Plane
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Take Me Home, Country Roads
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Sunshine on My Shoulders
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Poems, Prayers and Promises
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Eagle and the Hawk, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Rocky Mountain High
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Farewell Andromeda (Welcome to My Morning)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Annie's Song
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Back Home Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Sweet Surrender
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Thank God I'm a Country Boy
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] I'm Sorry
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Calypso
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Fly Away
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Looking for Space
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Like a Sad Song
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] My Sweet Lady
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Perhaps Love
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] Shanghai Breezes
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Wild Montana Skies
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Leaving on a Jet Plane - (previously unreleased, original version)
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Weight, The - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Annie's Song - (Acoustic Mix, previously unreleased, acoustic version)
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Calypso - (Acoustic Mix, previously unreleased, acoustic version)
- BMG (distributor)
- Video Disabled
amanda, Craighall. 15 January 2011
Love it. Denver is the original country music star, his music is timeless. Thanks to Take 2 for getting it to me so quickly.