Learning to Flinch - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 050
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Learning to Flinch
Solo performer: Warren Zevon (vocals, acoustic & electric guitars, piano, harmonica).
Warren Zevon was known for his intense, uncompromising approach to songwriting, but his hard-hitting tunes gain even more gravitas from the live, acoustic setting of LEARNING TO FLINCH. Accompanying himself on acoustic guitar and piano, Zevon takes the audience on a journey through his catalog of dark, stirring songs. Such Zevon classics as "Excitable Boy" with its tongue-in-cheek tale of a psychopath on the loose, "Lawyers, Guns and Money," and the doomy anti-anthem "Play It All Night Long" feel all the more incisive in such an intimate setting, and Zevon's husky voice is even more emotive and communicative when it's not fighting for dominance over a full band.
- Country of Origin
- Flashback Records
- WEA (Distributor)
- Warren Zevon
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Splendid Isolation
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Lawyers, Guns and Money
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Mr. Bad Example
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Excitable Boy
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Hasten Down the Wind
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] French Inhaler, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Worrier King
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Roland Chorale
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Roland the Headless
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Thompson Gunner
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Searching For a Heart
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Boom Boom Mancini
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Jungle Work
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Piano Fighter
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Werewolves of London
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Indifference of Heaven, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Poor, Poor Pitiful Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Play It All Night Long
- Studio / Live
Rolling Stone (8/19/93, p.76) - 3 Stars - Good - "...easily Zevon's sharpest since his SENTIMENTAL HYGIENE..."
Q (1/94, p.87) - Included in Q's list of 'The 50 Best Albums Of 1993' - "...LEARNING TO FLINCH is probably as strong an example possible of an artist successfully struggling with his art while unsuccessfully struggling with the charts..."
Q (5/93, p.101) - 3 Stars - Good - "...Warren Zevon unadorned, slashing at an acoustic guitar or banging the piano to deliver his vivid songs of boxing and booze, mad superstars and headless Thomson gunners...sardonic, self-dramatizing and funny..."
Musician (6/93, p.90) - "...If the truest test of a song is how good it sounds with just an acoustic guitar or piano, this is where Warren Zevon shows what his hits are made of..."
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.