Minnelli Liza - Legends Of Broadway - Liza Minnelli Live At The Winter Garden (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 650
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Pop Vocal
- Show Vocals
- Number of Items
- Live at the Winter Garden
- Country of Origin
- Mono / Stereo
- Audio CD
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Overture: Liza With a "Z"/Ring Them Bells/I Can See Clearly Now/Maybe This Time/Cabaret
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] If You Could Read My Mind/Come Back To Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Shine On Harvest Moon
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Exactly Like Me
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Circle, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] More Than You Know
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I'm One of the Smart Ones
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Natural Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] I Can See Clearly Now
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] And I In My Chair (Et Moi Dans Mon Coin)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] There is a Time (Le Temps)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Quiet Thing
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Anywhere You Are/I Believe You
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Cabaret/Curtain Bows
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] You and I - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] If Had To Be You - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] My Shining Hour - (previously unreleased)
- Easy Listening
- 67m 56s
Personnel: Elmar Oliveira, Nina Simon, Marie Hence, Sandra Robbins, Joseph Goodman, Maurice Brown , Max Cahn, Bernard Fennell, Tobias Blom, Ian Wint (strings); Dennis Anderson , Al Ragni, Walter Kane, Lew Del Gatto (woodwinds); Al Dirisi, Fred Zito, Ronald Keller, Lew Gluckin, Wayne Andre, Vincent Fanuele, John Frosk (brass); Eric Cohen , Charles Roeder (percussion).
Audio Remixer: Don Puluse.
Liner Note Author: David Foil.
Recording information: Winter Garden Theater, New York, NY (01/06/1974-02/02/1974).
Director: Bob Fosse.
Editor: Don Puluse.
Photographer: Arthur Maillot.
After taking on a batch of contemporary pop songs on her 1973 studio album The Singer, Liza Minnelli returns to a more familiar format here. Movies, Broadway musicals, and television appearances notwithstanding, she has devoted much of her career to her concert/nightclub act, and Liza Live at the Winter Garden shows what it sounds like, circa 1974. And that is, essentially, a revised and updated version of the show she immortalized as Liza with a "Z" in 1972. She tries to mix contemporary material with show tunes, beginning with a medley of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind" and "Come Back to Me" from the Lerner & Loewe musical On a Clear Day You Can See Forever. It doesn't really work, despite her usual full-throttle performance style, and she is far more comfortable with Tin Pan Alley fare and nuggets from decades past, such as "Shine on Harvest Moon" and "More Than You Know." She tries to go contemporary again at the top of the LP's second side with the funky "Natural Man" and Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now." But, again, she sounds far more in command immediately after when she dramatizes two chansons by her sometime concert partner Charles Aznavour, "And I in My Chair (Et Moi Dans Mon Coin)" and "There Is a Time (Le Temps)." Her mentor, lyricist Fred Ebb, is given credit for writing the show, and he and his composing companion, John Kander, have penned some special material, notably the novelty "Exactly Like Me," a funny song in the style of "Liza with a 'Z'" that finds Minnelli encountering some unlikely fans who think she looks like them. An attempt seems to have been made to avoid repeating songs that have appeared on earlier Minnelli recordings, but it's hard not to end with her no-holds-barred performance of "Cabaret." This is a typically effective live show from Minnelli, and clearly just a souvenir from the act itself that could only be completed by seeing as well as hearing her. ~ William Ruhlmann
- Sony Music Entertainment
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Liza Minnelli
- Gary Klein; David Foil (Reissue)
- Date Released
- 2012-04-01 00:00:00
- Tom Dwyer; Hank Altman; Aaron Baron; Larry Dahlstrom; Phil Ramone
No reviews yet.