Mumford & Sons - Babel (CD)
Discovery Miles 1 690
This item is in stock in our CPT warehouse and can be shipped from there.You can also collect it yourself from our warehouse during the week or over weekends.
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Number of Items
- Country of Origin
- USA / Canada
- Mono / Stereo
- Audio CD
Rolling Stone (p.74) - 3.5 stars out of 5 -- "Mumford's desperation, elevated in TNT dynamics, can be thrilling..."
Paste (magazine) - "The unashamedly universal themes are matched by the group's booming sound and imagery that stretches out over space and time."
Clash (magazine) - "Soul-stirring and for much of the time uplifting, the bangs of their banjo and euphoric bluegrass beats make this lot's trade seem untouchable..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Babel
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Whispers In The Dark
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] I Will Wait
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Holland Road
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Ghosts That We Knew
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Lover Of The Light
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Lover's Eyes
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Reminder
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Hopeless Wanderer
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Broken Crown
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Below My Feet
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Not With Haste
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Sigh No More
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Cave, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Winter Winds
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Roll Away Your Stone
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] White Blank Page
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I Gave You All
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Little Lion Man
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Timshel
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Thistle & Weeds
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Awake My Soul
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Dust Bowl Dance
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] After the Storm
- Release Date
- 28 September 2012
- 48m 33s
- South Africa
Personnel: Duchess Nell Catchpole (violin, viola); Christopher Allan (cello); Nick Etwell (trumpet, flugelhorn); Pete Beachill (trombone).
Audio Mixer: Ruadhri Cushnan.
Recording information: Eastcote Studios, London, England.
Photographer: Max Knight .
Arranger: Mumford & Sons.
English folk outfit Mumford & Sons' full-length debut owes more than a cursory nod to bands like the Waterboys, the Pogues, and the Men They Couldn't Hang. The group's heady blend of biblical imagery, pastoral introspection, and raucous, pub-soaked heartache may be earnest to a fault, but when the wildly imperfect Sigh No More is firing on all cylinders, as is the case with stand-out cuts like "The Cave," "Winter Winds," and "Little Lion Man," it's hard not to get swept up in the rapture. Like their London underground folk scene contemporaries Noah & the Whale, Johnny Flynn, and Laura Marling, Mumford & Sons' take on British folk is far from traditional. There's a deep vein of 21st century Americana that runs through the album, suggesting a healthy diet of Fleet Foxes, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Blitzen Trapper, and Marah. That melding of styles, along with some solid knob-twiddling from Arcade Fire/Coldplay producer Markus Dravs, helps to keep the record from completely sinking into the quicksand of its myriad slow numbers -- tracks like "I Gave You All," "Thistle & Weeds," and "After the Storm" are pretty and plain enough, but they neuter a band this spirited. Sigh No More is an impressive debut, but one that impresses more for its promise of the future than it does its wildly inconsistent place in the present. [A Deluxe Edition of Sigh No More was released in December 2010, and featured the original album, a second disc of 12 live recordings, and a DVD that included all three installments of the documentary "Gentlemen of the Road."} ~ James Christopher Monger
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Mumford & Sons
- Markus Dravs
- Date Released
- Francois Chevallier
No reviews yet.