Music Rough Guides:out of This World - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 400
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Number of Discs
- Phil Stanton (Compilation)
- Music Rough Guides: Out of This World
- Various Artists
Performers include: Sona Diabate, Ali Akbar Khan & Asha Bhosle, Larry Sparks, Bombay Talkie, Joe Arroyo Y La Verdad, Roberto "Polaco" Goyeneche, Mamborama, Jose Afonso, Buckwheat Zydeco, Aisha Kandisha's Jarrring Effects.
Liner Note Authors: Phil Stanton; Duncan Baker.
Celebrating their 10th anniversary, World Entertainment Network released a series of special items and trinkets, one of which is the label-encompassing Music Rough Guides: Out of This World sampler album. The attempt is to draw from all eras and locales of the Rough Guides' 100-plus albums in the space of ten songs. As a result, it can perhaps be doomed from the outset, but the pieces chosen are, in fact, representative of the major movements in the multitude of albums from which they're culled. Latin jazz starts things off with a bit of mambo, quickly moving into some modern Arabesque (Arabic electronica) with Aisha Kandisha, and roots music with Larry Sparks' bluegrass. The modern multiethnic dance music of bhangra is followed by the older multiethnic dance music of tango (represented by the venerable master Roberto Goyeneche, no less). The heart-rending songs of fado are represented by Jose Afonso, and Buckwheat Zydeco brings the sound back to something with more kick to represent the Louisiana end of things. Before ending, the album turns to some Bollywood and West African Sona Diabate. The album finishes with the completion of a circle, using a Joe Arroyo track from the first Rough Guide album ever pressed. Ultimately, with the consistent delivery of the Rough Guides, there was no hope of covering the whole range in one album. Nonetheless, the sampler does a fine job of giving a minor glimpse into each sphere of influence with a fine track. Omissions galore, but allowable. ~ Adam Greenberg
- Country of Origin
- World Music Network
- Studio / Live
- Mono / Stereo
- Sony Music
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Es Solo Musica - Mamborama
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Muey a Muey, A - Aisha Kandisha's Jarring...
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Gospel Train - Larry Sparks
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Chargiye - Bombay Talkie
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Tango de los Abuelos, los Padres y los Hijos - Roberto Goyeneche
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Saudades de Coimbra - Jose Afonso
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Let the Good Times Roll - Buckwheat Zydeco
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Guru Bandana (Prayer) - Ali Akbar Khan/Asha Bhosle
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] M'Bot‚ - Sona Diabate
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Rebeli¢n - Joe Arroyo/La Verdad/Joe Arroyo Y La Verdad
- Ryko Distribution
- 49m 21s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.