Nearness of You - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 190
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Jazz Instrument
- Mono / Stereo
- Jack Jezzro
- The Nearness of You
Personnel: Beegie Adair (piano); Chris Brown (drums).
Audio Mixer: Brendan Harkin.
Liner Note Author: Will Friedwald.
Recording information: Wildwood, Nashville, TN.
Photographer: Russ Harrington.
As part of a series of albums devoted to the work of classic pop songwriters, jazz pianist Beegie Adair turns her attention here to the "romantic songs" of Hoagy Carmichael. (It's hard to see how Johnny Mercer's lyrics to "In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening" or "Small Fry" could be considered romantic, but nobody's singing on this album, anyway.) Leading a trio, Adair addresses the melodies of some very familiar tunes in the jazz realm, such as "Stardust" and "Heart and Soul," along with some less-well-known Carmichael compositions such as "Memphis in June" and "One Morning in May." Invariably, she moves into embellishments and note substitutions, but never leaves the melodies for long. Fans of extensive jazz soloing won't find much to engage them here, but this and the other albums in the series could be put in a multiple-disc CD player and serve as the soundtrack to a romantic evening. ~ William Ruhlmann
- Country of Origin
- Green Hill Productions
- EMI Christian Music Group
- Beegie Adair
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Georgia on My Mind
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Heart and Soul
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Skylark
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Ole Buttermilk Sky
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Stardust
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Ivy
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Nearness of You, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Small Fry
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Memphis in June
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Two Sleepy People
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] One Morning in May
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] I Get Along Without You Very Well
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- David Langemann; Brendan Harkin
No reviews yet.