Nelson, Willie / Marsalis, Wyton / Jones, Norah - Here We Go Again (CD)
Willie Nelson, Wynton Marsalis and Norah Jones
Discovery Miles 130
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Progressive Country
- Number of Discs
- Copy Control
- Number of Items
- Media Type
- Here We Go Again: Celebrating the Genius of Ray Charles
- Country of Origin
- Blue Note Records
JazzTimes (p.67) - "[Marsalis's] horn is spectacular throughout, consistently establishing incredibly high imaginative benchmarks..."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.92) - 3 stars out of 5 -- "It's enhanced by the alluring presence of Norah Jones, who contributes blithe, bittersweet vocals..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Hallelujah I Love Her So-- - Willie Nelson And Wynton Marsalis Featuring Specia
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Come Rain or Come Shine
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Unchain My Heart
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Cryin' Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Losing Hand
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Hit The Road Jack
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I'm Moving On
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Busted
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Here We Go Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Makin' Whoopie
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I Love You So Much (It Hurts)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] What'd I Say
- South Africa
- Release Date
- 28 March 2011
- 61m 49s
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Hallelujah I Love Her So [Gospel 2-Beat/Boogaloo/ 4/4 Swing]
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Come Rain or Come Shine [Walking Ballad]
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Unchain My Heart [Bolero with Habanera Bass]
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Cryin' Time [Country Ballad]
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Losing Hand [Dirge with Chain-Gang Shuffle]
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Hit the Road Jack [Gospel 2-Beat/4/4 Swing]
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] I'm Moving On [Boogaloo with Afro-Latin Backbeat/ 4/4 Swing]
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Busted [Gospel 12/8 Shuffle]
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Here We Go Again [Rhythm & Blues 12/8 Shuffle]
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Makin' Whoopee [Hard-Bop 2-Beat/4/4 Swing]
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] I Love You So Much (It Hurts) [Waltz]
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] What'd I Say [Boogaloo]
Personnel: Wynton Marsalis (trumpet); Mickey Raphael (harmonica); Walter Blanding (tenor saxophone); Dan Nimmer (piano); Ali Jackson Jr. (drums, percussion).
Audio Mixer: Jeff Jones "the Jedi Master".
Recording information: Rose Theater, Frederick P. Rose Hall (02/09/2009-02/10/2009).
Photographer: Julie Skarratt.
Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis first worked together at The Allen Room at New York's Jazz at Lincoln Center for two nights in 2007, and while at first it would seem to be an odd pairing, it really isn't: Nelson's singing and guitar playing have always fallen well to the jazz side of country all along anyway, and he's hardly been a garden variety hat act during his long career, while Marsalis has long worked to reintroduce jazz as a viable popular form in American music. It's about synthesis, really, and so it makes perfect sense for Nelson and Marsalis to turn to the music of Ray Charles, one of the greatest assimilators of American pop music -- all forms of it, from gospel to blues, country, jazz, and R&B-for their encore shows at the heralded jazz house -- this time for two sold-out nights at Rose Theater in February 2009 with special guest Norah Jones. Marsalis arranged the music as both an homage to Charles and as a loose song cycle about the ups and downs of love, and backed by his working quintet of tenor saxophonist Walter Blanding, pianist Dan Nimmer, bassist Carlos Henriquez, and drummer Ali Jackson, plus Nelson's longtime harmonica player Mickey Raphael, it all feels wonderfully appropriate, with Charles' standards like "Hallelujah I Love Her So," "Cryin' Time," "Hit the Road Jack," "Busted," "Makin' Whoopie," and his iconic signature hit, "What'd I Say" all sounding comfortable and fresh. The only thing missing is Ray Charles himself, who undoubtedly would have had no trouble fitting into these shows. Radio now splits everything into little niches. That isn't what Charles was about. He saw music as convergence. This fine concert album plays in that same spirit. ~ Steve Leggett
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Willie Nelson/Wynton Marsalis
- Jazz At Lincoln Center; Jeff Jones "the Jedi Master"
- EMI Music Distribution
- Rob Macomber; Saundra Palmer-Grassi
No reviews yet.