Original Soundtrack - The Hours (CD)
Discovery Miles 2 350
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Film Composers
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- The Hours [Music from the Motion Picture]
- Country of Origin
- Nonesuch (USA)
- Mono / Stereo
Entertainment Weekly (1/24/03, p.100) - "...His music for the adaptation of Michael Cunningham's novel achieves a balance of melancholy and serenity that's wholly appropriate..." - Rating: B
Uncut (5/03, p.100) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...Philip Glass at his most minimal, repetitive, and inexplicably, magically, affecting..."
Mojo (Publisher) (4/03, p.100) - 3 stars out of 5 - "....There's always something refreshing about a Glass score...It still punches its weight with finesse..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] The Poet Acts
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Why Does Someone Have To Die
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Tearing Herself Away
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Escape!
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Choosing Life
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] The Hours
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Morning Passages
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Something She Has To Do
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] For Your Own Benefit
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Vanessa And The Changelings
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I'm Going To Make A Cake
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] An Unwelcome Friend
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Dead Things
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] The Kiss
- Release Date
- 12 November 2002
- 57m 33s
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Hours, film score: The Poet Acts, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Hours, film score: Morning Passages, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Hours, film score: Something She Has to Do, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Hours, film score: "For Your Own Benefit", The
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Hours, film score: Vanessa and the Changelings, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Hours, film score: "I'm Going to Make a Cake", The
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Hours, film score: An Unwelcome Friend, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Hours, film score: Dead Things, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Hours, film score: The Kiss, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Hours, film score: "Why Does Someone Have to Die?", The
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Hours, film score: Tearing Herself Away, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Hours, film score: Escape!, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Hours, film score: Choosing Life, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Hours, film score: The Hours, The
Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, England. Includes liner notes by Michael Cunningham.
THE HOURS was nominated for the 2004 Grammy Award for Best Soundtrack Album For A Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media.
Composer: Philip Glass.
Personnel: Rolf Wilson (violin); Nick Barr (viola); David Daniels (cello); Dave Arch, Michael Riesman (piano); Chris Laurence (double bass).
Liner Note Authors: Michael Cunningham; Michael Riesman.
Recording information: Air Studios, London, England (10/07/2003-10/09/2003); Baldwin, New York, NY (10/07/2003-10/09/2003); EMI Abbey Road Studios, London, England (10/07/2003-10/09/2003).
Editor: Ichiho Nishiki.
Arrangers: Michael Riesman; Nico Muhly.
One of America's best-known composers, Philip Glass may be widely regarded as a minimalist, but he demonstrates his strength as a storyteller with his soundtracks, and THE HOURS is no exception. Onscreen, it doesn't seem possible to find a more perfect accompaniment to Michael Cunningham's lovely story with searing tragic elements and bottomless yearning. On its own, however, the album feels lighter and more promising, a reminder again of Glass's resourcefulness and penchant for melody.
Pianist Michael Riesman and the Lyric Quartet enhance the classical tone of some of these pieces. "Morning Passages" and "Unwelcome Friend" have lovely piano solos that move grandly enough alone, but then are suddenly and delightedly joined by Glass's signature, blissfully sparse, but warm strings. "I'm Going to Bake a Cake," and "The Kiss" are reminiscent of Glass's more contemporary compositional style, three repeated arpeggios and only slightly shifting block chords. As ever, what saves these pieces from feeling repetitive is Glass's feel for romance and the dramatic arc.
- Date Released
- 2003-01-01 00:00:00
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Philip Glass
- Don Christensen; Kurt Munkacsi; Michael Riesman
- WEA (Distributor)
- Jonathan Allen; Hector Castillo
No reviews yet.