Pleasure Principle (30th Ann Expanded - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 3 180
This item is in stock in our JHB warehouse and can be shipped from there. No collection facilities available, sorry!
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
6 Month Limited Warranty. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- New Romantic
- The Pleasure Principle [30th Anniversary Edition]
- Country of Origin
- Beggars Banquet (USA)
- Mono / Stereo
Spin (9/98, pp.188-189) - 8 (out of 10) - "...further honed REPLICA's adolescent angst/android fetishism schtick..."
CMJ (1/5/04, p.6) - Ranked #12 in CMJ's "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1980".
Q (Magazine) (p.123) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "It's often forgotten that this was electronic music's commercial breakthrough."
Record Collector (magazine) (p.95) - 4 stars out of 5 -- "THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE is a simultaneously grim and enlightening experience, and highly recommended."
- Gary Numan
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Airlane
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Metal
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Complex
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Films
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] M.E.
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Observer
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Conversation
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Cars
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Engineers
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Airplane
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Metal
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] Complex
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] Films
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] M.E.
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] Tracks - (Remix, remix)
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Observer
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Conversation
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Cars
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Engineers
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Random [2009 Re-Master]
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Oceans [2009 Re-Master]
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Asylum [2009 Re-Master]
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] Photograph [2009 Re-Master]ashup]
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] Gymnopedie No. 1
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] Conversation
- [ Disc 02 Track 17 ] M.E. - (Remix, remix)
THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE contains seven bonus tracks which includes demo out-takes and 'B' side singles.
Personnel: Gary Numan (vocals, keyboards, synthetic percussion); Billy Currie (violin); Christopher Payne (viola, keyboards); Paul Gardiner (bass); Cedric Sharpley (drums, percussion); Garry Robson (background vocals).
Recorded at Marcus Music AB, London, England. Includes liner notes by Steve Malins.
Audio Mixers: Rikki Sylvan; Harvey Webb; Rikki Sylvan.
Audio Remasterer: John Dent.
Liner Note Author: Steve Malins.
Recording information: Free Range Studios, London WC2; Marcus Music AB, London W11.
Illustrator: Tony Escott.
Photographer: Geoff Howes.
Arranger: Gary Numan.
Gary Numan's most commercially successful album is, perhaps unsurprisingly, his least representative disc. Powered by the hit single "Cars," arguably the first British synth-pop song to dent the US charts (M's "Pop Muzik" came out around the same time), THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE is a striking turnaround from the guitar-powered, Joy Division-like post-punk of his old band Tubeway Army. Aside from Paul Gardiner's bass and some percussion, every instrument is electronic.
To denote their futuristic simplicity the album's 10 songs are given one-word titles; they're all built on the same layers of analogue synthesizers and futuristic, dystopian lyrics. The album's resulting numbing quality is also pretty much its point. This Cleopatra reissue has seven bonus tracks, including demo outtakes, live tracks, B-sides, and, oddly, a song from a seven-inch single given away with the first pressing of Numan's next album, TELEKON.
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Limited (6 months)
- Gary Numan
- Gary Numan
- Packaged weight
- 90.718 g
- Distribution Select
- Rikki Sylvan; Steve Forward; Harvey Webb; Rikki Sylvian
No reviews yet.