Point - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 390
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Mono / Stereo
- Harry Nilsson; Curtis Armstrong (Reissue); Glenn Korman (Reissue); Rob Santos (Reissue)
- The Point! [Bonus Tracks] [Remaster]
This reissue features original comic book story and cover art.
Personnel includes: Harry Nilsson (vocals, piano); George Tipton (conductor); Alton Hendrickson (guitar, mandolin); Dennis Budimir, Tommy Tedesco, Al Casey (guitar); Tibor Zelig, Israel Baker, Arnold Belnick (violin); Armand Kaproff, Edgar Lustgarten (cello); Louise Dismsan, Gretchen Shanley, Arthur Gleghorn (flute); George Fields, Tommy Morgan (harmonica); Tom Scott (saxophone); Carroll Lewis (trumpet); Mike Rubini (piano, organ, clavinet); Dan Randi (organ); Carol Kaye, Stephens LaFever (bass); John Guerin, Earl Palmer (drums); Jerry Williams, Alan Estes, Milt Holland (percussion).
Recorded at RCA Studios, and at A&M Studios, Hollywood, California between April and September 1970.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
Personnel: Harry Nilsson (vocals, piano); Alton Hendrickson (guitar, mandolin); Dennis Budimir, Al Casey , Tommy Tedesco (guitar); Dorothy Remsen (harp); Tibor Zelig, Israel Baker, Arnold Belnick (violin); Byron Berline (fiddle); Armand Karpoff (cello); Ethmer Roten (flute, saxophone); Arthur Gleghorn (flute); George Fields, Tommy Morgan (harmonica); Jim Horn, Tom Scott (saxophone); Carroll Lewis (trumpet); Michel Rubini (piano, Clavinet, organ); Mike Melvoin (piano, Clavinet); Michael Lang (piano); Ralph Grierson (harpsichord, organ); Don Randi (organ); Frank Capp (drums, timpani); Earl Palmer , John Guerin (drums); Alan Estes, Jerry Williams , Milt Holland (percussion).
Liner Note Author: Curtis Armstrong.
Recording information: A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA (12/12/1969-09/28/1970); RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA (12/12/1969-09/28/1970).
Arranger: George Tipton.
In 1970, Harry Nilsson's THE POINT appeared. It arrived as both an animated television special and this soundtrack. The album alternates seven warm and sprightly songs with seven bits of narration (also by Nilsson), which together present Nilsson's delightful little fable. However, the songs do stand perfectly well on their own. "Me and My Arrow" was a hit at the time, and found its way into people's consciousness again in the '80s when it was used in a car commercial. The story's themes are universal and the songs and their arrangements are catchy to children without being cloying to adults. "Think About Your Troubles" sports a confident vocal that melds the blues with Broadway. The orchestrations throughout the entire album (arranged and conducted by George Tipton) are supple, supportive, and slyly inventive.
- Country of Origin
- BMG (distributor)
- Harry Nilsson
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Everthing's Got 'Em
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Town, The (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Me and My Arrow
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Game, The (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Poli High
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Trial & Banishment, The (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Think About Your Troubles
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Pointed Man, The (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Life Line
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Birds, The (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] P.O.V. Waltz
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Clearing in the Woods, The (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Are You Sleeping?
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Oblio's Return (Narration) - (narration)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Think About Your Troubles - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Life Line - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Down to the Valley - (previously unreleased, unedited)
- Studio / Live
Rolling Stone (5/27/71, p.53) - "...THE POINT is not a collection of sound track songs, but rather a carefully told story complete by itself...conveyed in an utterly delightful style..."
Mojo (Publisher) (9/00, p.88) - "...Strange and lovely..."
NME (Magazine) (9/23/00, p.35) - 8 out of 10 - "...THE POINT has great charm, better songs, and was a huge TV hit..."
- Ritchie Schmitt; Pat Ieraci; Mike Leary; Hank McGill; Kent Tunks; Richie Schmitt
No reviews yet.