Road Goes on Forever - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 990
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Outlaw Country
- Mono / Stereo
- Don Was; Don Was (Reissue); Rob Christie (Reissue)
- The Road Goes on Forever [10th Anniversary Edition]
The Highwaymen: Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson (vocals, guitar).
Additional personnel: Mark Goldenberg (acoustic & baritone guitars, electric sitar); Al Anderson (electric & acoustic guitars); Reggie Young (electric guitar); Robby Turner (pedal steel, dobro); Mickey Raphael (harmonica); Danny Timms (acoustic piano, background vocals); Luis Resto (Wurlitzer electric piano); Benmont Tench (Hammond C-3); Michael Rhodes (bass); Kenny Aronoff (drums); Billy Swan (background vocals).
Recorded at Ocean Way, Hollywood, California.
The Highwaymen (Country): William Nelson (vocals, guitar); Al Anderson (acoustic guitar, electric guitar); Reggie Young (electric guitar); Robby Turner (pedal steel guitar); Danny Timms (piano); Luis Resto (Wurlitzer piano); Benmont Tench (Hammond b-3 organ); Michael Rhodes (bass guitar); Johnny Cash, Kenny Aronoff , Kris Kristofferson, Mark Goldenberg, Waylon Jennings, Mickey Raphael.
Personnel: Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson (vocals, guitar); Mark Goldenberg (acoustic guitar, baritone guitar, electric sitar); Robby Turner (dobro); Mickey Raphael (harmonica); Daniel Timms (piano); Luis Resto (Wurlitzer organ); Kenny Aronoff (drums).
Audio Mixer: Chuck Ainlay.
Audio Remasterers: Ed Cherney; Ron McMaster.
Audio Remixers: Don Was; Ed Cherney.
Liner Note Authors: Kris Kristofferson; Chet Flippo; Willie Nelson.
Recording information: Caravell Studios, Branson, MO; Ocean Way, Hollywood, CA.
Photographers: Patrick L. Simpson; Frank Ockenfels.
Unknown Contributor Role: Mark Rothbaum.
On THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER, four venerable veterans emphatically prove that experience, talent, and strong material add up to a potent combination. The Highwaymen have few peers not only because each is a country music living legend, but because this quartet has lived its songs; they have turned the gravel to dust by endlessly riding down the roads they sing about.
Combining the songbooks of the four main participants with some tasty choices by outside writers, the Highwaymen offer an expansive look at life through crow-footed outlaw eyes. Whether it's the meditative, metaphysical marvel "Death And Hell," written by Johnny Cash and his son, or the sublime title track penned by relative newcomer Robert Earl Keen, the Highwaymen lend these songs a thoroughly lived-in feel. They often rotate the lead vocals within a song--singing the rafters off Steve Earle's "The Devil's Right Hand" both separately and together--and add their distinctive harmony styles to their compadres' solo turns. Willie Nelson's "The End Of Understanding" flows gently along, like a still, endless river, while Kristofferson's tired, gruff voice perfectly guides his ode to the bright side of human nature, "Here Comes The Rainbow Again."
THE ROAD GOES ON FOREVER is the kind of highly spirited, provocative effort that should send Nashville's new breed back to the rehearsal halls, in hope that one day they too can fill the boots of the country's still-kicking legends.
- Country of Origin
- Capitol/EMI Records
- EMI Music Distribution
- The Highwaymen (Country)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Devil's Right Hand, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Live Forever
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Everyone Gets Crazy
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] It Is What It Is
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] I Do Believe
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] End of Understanding, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] True Love Travels on a Gravel Road
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Death and Hell
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Waiting for a Long Time
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Here Comes That Rainbow Again
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Road Goes on Forever, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] If He Came Back Again - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Live Forever - (previously unreleased, Acoustic demo)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] I Ain't Song - (previously unreleased, Acoustic Demo)
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Pick Up the Tempo - (previously unreleased, Acoustic Demo)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Closer to the Bone - (previously unreleased, Acoustic Demo)
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Back in the Saddle Again - (previously unreleased, Acoustic Outtake)
- Studio / Live
Entertainment Weekly (4/14/95, pp.62-63) - "...a solid collection of unconventional and often introspective songs....the new album veers from hymn-like meditations to honky-tonk shuffles to chugging country-rockers exploring acceptance, self-reliance and universal love..." - Rating: B+
Q (5/95, p.104) - 3 Stars - Good - "...Worn, weather-beaten and just a little bit fierier this time around."
- Video Disabled
- Rik Pekkonen; Barry Taylor; Rik Pekkonen
No reviews yet.