Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot (2012) (CD)
List Price R 152
Discovery Miles 1 390
Eligible for Cash on Delivery. Learn more
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Number of Discs
- Number of Items
- Media Type
- Pisces Iscariot [Remastered] [PA]
- Country of Origin
- Mono / Stereo
- Audio CD
Rolling Stone (12/1/94, p.124) - 3 Stars - Good- "...doesn't really sound like the compilation of rejects it actually is. In fact, it's better than a lot of albums that bands labored hard to put together...features the Pumpkins' trademark bombastic fuzz barrage..."
Spin (11/94, p.93) - Recommended - "...What's best about the record is what's best about preceding Smashing Pumpkins stuff: the cool multitracked Brian May-style guitar bits and the way these bits explode out of lacy, ephemeral sections..."
Entertainment Weekly (10/7/94, p.76) - "...what's fascinating is how the Pumpkins can sound both raw and fussily produced at the same time. For a blatant cash cow, PISCES ISCARIOT delivers some fine milk..." - Rating: B+
Q (1/95, p.263) - 4 Stars - Excellent - "...If this is one chapter's leftovers, who can wait for the next?"
Alternative Press (12/94, p.110) - "...PISCES highlights a grinny side to the band which is completely unexpected...these are the playful Pumpkins we know and want to love..."
Musician (12/94, p.92) - "...Corgan shows how well the elements that drive the Pumpkins' heavier material (darkness, introspection, celebration) can work in this alternate setting..."
Kerrang (Magazine) (p.54) - "[Some songs] were exquisite: the acoustics of Fleetwood Mac cover 'Landslide' and 'Starla''s psychedelia among them."
NME (Magazine) (12/24/94, p.23) - Ranked #9 in NME's list of the 10 best compilation albums of 1994.
NME (Magazine) (10/29/94, p.47) - 8 - Excellent - "...Most bands would willingly die a hideous death just to make one album half as coherent, half as inventive and half as moving as PISCES ISCARIOT. What a beautiful rip off..."
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Soothe (Demo) (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Frail & Bedazzled (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Plume (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Whir (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Blew Away (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Pissant (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Hello Kitty Kat (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Obscured (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Landslide (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Starla (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Blue (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] A Girl Named Sandoz (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] La Dolly Vita (2012 - Remaster)
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Spaced (2012 - Remaster)
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Soothe
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Frail and Bedazzled
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Plume
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Whir
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Blew Away
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Pissant
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Hello Kitty Kat
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Obscured
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Landslide
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Starla
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Blue
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Girl Named Sandoz
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Dolly Vita, La
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Spaced
- Pop / Rock
- Release Date
- 17 July 2012
- 57m 21s
Smashing Pumpkins: Billy Corgan, James Iha, D'Arcy, Jimmy Chamberlin.
Producers include: Billy Corgan, Butch Vig, Kerry Brown, James Iha, Ted de Bono.
Includes liner notes by Billy Corgan.
Audio Remasterer: Bob Ludwig.
Liner Note Authors: Billy Corgan; David Wild.
Illustrator: Satch Grimley.
Photographers: Michael Miester; Billy Corgan.
Billy Corgan probably never smashed a pumpkin in his life. He was too busy making fun of the macho oafs who fueled their teen angst with power chords and cheap beer. Corgan is much more the type to hide in his room and write sweet songs or bash out manic sludgefests with tricky titles. "Plume," being the perfect example, finds Corgan boasting "my boredom outshines the sun."
Boasting aside, Corgan's boredom is not contagious or completely self-serving. PISCES ISCARIOT is a collection of B-sides and rarities that, even more than GISH or SIAMESE DREAM, offers insight into the workings of one of alternative rock's most sought-after songwriters.
Corgan's introspective quiet side is exemplified by his cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" and the Corgan original "Soothe," which, in the spirit of lo-fi, he recorded in his apartment. The other side of the Smashing Pumpkins' sound is James Iha's driving guitar, a psychedelic sonic blast that is quickly distinguishable from the ranks of AOR and typical grungy alterna-rock. If you're a fan of the Smashing Pumpkins' sound, PISCES ISCARIOT will show you where it all came from.
- Date Released
- Audio Format
- PCM Audio
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Smashing Pumpkins
No reviews yet.