Thyrty Anniversary Collection - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 1 590
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Hard Rock
- Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Thyrty: The 30th Anniversary Collection
"THYRTY" celebrates the 30th anniversary of Lynyrd Skynyrd's debut album.
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Ronnie Van Zandt (vocals); Ed King (guitar, bass); Gary Rossington, Allen Collins (guitar); Billy Powell (keyboards); Leon Wilkeson (bass); Robert Burns (drums).
Additional personnel includes: Ed King, Jimmy Johnson (guitar); Ronnie Eades (saxophone); Leslie Hawkins, Cassie Gaines, Jo Billingsley (background vocals).
Producers include: Al Kooper, David Johnson, Quin Ivy, Jimmy R. Johnson, Tim Smith.
Compilation producers: Andy McKaie, Ron O'Brien.
Recorded between 1973 & 2003. Includes liner notes by Ron O'Brien.
Personnel: Randall Hall , Steve Gaines (vocals, guitar); Leon Wilkeson (vocals, acoustic bass, background vocals); Dale Krantz-Rossington (vocals, background vocals); Johnny Van Zant, Ronnie Van Zant (vocals); Rick Medlocke (guitar, dobro, background vocals); Ed King (guitar, mandolin); Hughie Thomasson (guitar, background vocals); Jimmy Johnson , Mike Estes, Gary Rossington, Allen Collins, Steve Morse, Wayne Perkins (guitar); Ronnie Eades (saxophone); Trevor Lawrence, Bobby Keys (horns); Billy Powell (piano, keyboards); Artimus Pyle, Owen Hale (drums, percussion); Custer, Bob Burns, Jr., Kenny Aronoff , Robert Nix, Michael Cartellone (drums); Cockroad, Mister Feedback, Wicker, Wolfman, Toby (hand claps); Bobbye Hall (percussion); Cassie Gaines, Debbie Davis, Carol Bristow, Leslie Hawkins, Jo Jo Billingsley, Al Kooper, Carol Chase (background vocals).
Liner Note Author: Ron O'Brien.
Recording information: Ardent Studios, Memphis, TN (10/1970-01/2003); Capricorn Studios (10/1970-01/2003); Cartee-Day Studios (10/1970-01/2003); Criteria Studios, Miami, FL (10/1970-01/2003); Emerald Studios, Nashville, TN (10/1970-01/2003); Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA (10/1970-01/2003); Lynyrd Skynyrd Tribute Tour, Reunion Arena, Dallas, TX (10/1970-01/2003); Masterfonics Studio, Nashville, TN (10/1970-01/2003); Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, Sheffield, AL (10/1970-01/2003); Ocean Way Studio, Nashville, TN (10/1970-01/2003); Quinvy Studios, Sheffield, AL (10/1970-01/2003); Record Plant, Los Angeles, CA (10/1970-01/2003); Studio One, Doraville, GA (10/1970-01/2003); The Castle, Franklin, TN (10/1970-01/2003); The Coca Cola Star Lake Amphitheatre, Burgettstown, PA (10/1970-01/2003); The REC Room, Nashville, TN (10/1970-01/2003).
Photographers: Jim McCrary; Mike Zagaris; David Alexander ; Moshe Brakha; Neal Preston; Emerson Loew.
Although it's easy for the hip intelligentsia to dismiss Lynyrd Skynyrd as no more than a hick Southern rock band, the fact remains that their canon is as worthy of critical praise as that of fellow Southerners, the Allman Brothers Band. The two-disc THYRTY commemorates this Florida outfit's 30th anniversary by revisiting their impressive musical legacy even as the band continues creating new music. Led by the fiery Ronnie Van Zandt and a three-guitar attack that essentially defined the Southern rock sound, Skynyrd has penned songs that manage to decry their Southern pride while chastising Neil Young ("Sweet Home Alabama"), give props to their record label ("Workin' For MCA"), and cast a dark light on the specter of drug abuse ("That Smell"). Also represented on this anthology is the band's equally potent in-concert talents as revealed by soaring versions of "Simple Man" and "Comin' Home." Although Lynyrd Skynyrd could be swaggering Southerners, some of the band's best moments come across on lighter, jauntier fare like their sprightly cover of J.J. Cale's "Call Me the Breeze" and late guitarist Steve Gaines' equally catchy "I Know a Little."
- Country of Origin
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Sweet Home Alabama
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] Need All My Friends
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Blues Medley: Sweet Little Angel/How Blue Can You Get/I Got a Mind ... - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] Down South Jukin'
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Was I Right or Wrong
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] I Ain't the One
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Tuesday's Gone
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Gimme Three Steps
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Workin' for MCA
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Ballad of Curtis Loew, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Call Me the Breeze
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Saturday Night Special
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] All I Can Do Is Write About It
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Free Bird
- [ Disc 02 Track 01 ] Whiskey Rock-A-Roller - (live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 02 ] Simple Man - (live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 03 ] What's Your Name?
- [ Disc 02 Track 04 ] That Smell
- [ Disc 02 Track 05 ] I Know a Little
- [ Disc 02 Track 06 ] You Got That Right
- [ Disc 02 Track 07 ] Comin' Home - (live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 08 ] Swamp Music - (live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 09 ] Gimme Back My Bullets - (live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 10 ] Smokestack Lightning
- [ Disc 02 Track 11 ] Last Rebel, The
- [ Disc 02 Track 12 ] Things Goin' On
- [ Disc 02 Track 13 ] Talked Myself Right into It
- [ Disc 02 Track 14 ] We Ain't Much Different - (live)
- [ Disc 02 Track 15 ] Workin'
- [ Disc 02 Track 16 ] Mad Hatter
- Studio / Live
- Video Disabled
- Rob Ruscoe
No reviews yet.