Very Best of Cat Stevens - (Import CD)
Discovery Miles 2 790
Hassle-Free Exchanges & Returns for 30 Days. Learn more
- Rock & Pop
- Folk Rock
- Mono / Stereo
- Very Best of Cat Stevens
Producers include: Mike Hurst, Paul Samwell-Smith, Cat Stevens.
Compilation producer: Bill Levinson.
Digitally remastered by Ted Jensen.
Personnel: Cat Stevens (vocals).
Audio Mixer: Paul Hicks.
Liner Note Author: Malu Halasa.
Photographers: G. Hanekroot; Michael Putland; David Redfern.
It is impossible to compile a single-disc greatest-hits compilation for Cat Stevens that will come close to satisfying all of his admirers. The Very Best of Cat Stevens is the fifth major attempt to do so and, like its predecessors, it is challenged by its subject's success. Remember Cat Stevens: The Ultimate Collection is the longest of the five (24 tracks) and may be the most comprehensive. But The Very Best of Cat Stevens, released just a year later, has several advantages that make it more appealing. To begin with, it is the only compilation to sequence chronologically songs from every one of Stevens' albums, including the experimental Foreigner. It also contains the delightful folk creed "The Wind," which was a glaring omission from the so-called Ultimate Collection. Most significantly, it contains the previously unreleased "I've Got a Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old." Stevens recorded a demo of the song during the Mona Bone Jakon sessions in 1970, but it never saw the light of day until it was remixed for this collection. Perhaps this was because it was considered too eccentric for public consumption, straddling the line between the hook-rich pop of Stevens' '60s records and the groundbreaking folk-rock of his '70s efforts. If so, the public was vastly underestimated. The song is a buried treasure that fits in perfectly in the company of Stevens' best work. ~ Evan Cater
- Country of Origin
- A&M (USA)
- Studio / Live
- Cat Stevens
- Songs / Tracks
- [ Disc 01 Track 01 ] Matthew & Son
- [ Disc 01 Track 02 ] First Cut Is the Deepest, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 03 ] Lady d'Arbanville
- [ Disc 01 Track 04 ] I've Got a Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old - (previously unreleased)
- [ Disc 01 Track 05 ] Wild World
- [ Disc 01 Track 06 ] Where Do the Children Play?
- [ Disc 01 Track 07 ] Hard Headed Woman
- [ Disc 01 Track 08 ] Father and Son
- [ Disc 01 Track 09 ] Wind, The
- [ Disc 01 Track 10 ] Morning Has Broken
- [ Disc 01 Track 11 ] Moonshadow
- [ Disc 01 Track 12 ] Peace Train
- [ Disc 01 Track 13 ] Sitting
- [ Disc 01 Track 14 ] Can't Keep It In
- [ Disc 01 Track 15 ] Foreigner Suite - (excerpt)
- [ Disc 01 Track 16 ] Oh Very Young
- [ Disc 01 Track 17 ] Another Saturday Night
- [ Disc 01 Track 18 ] Majik of Majiks
- [ Disc 01 Track 19 ] (Remember the Days of the) Old School Yard
- [ Disc 01 Track 20 ] Just Another Night
- Universal Distribution
- Q (12/03, p.159) - 4 stars out of 5 - "...Among these 24 tracks are some of the best-loved songs of the past four decades..."
- 68m 41s
- Video Disabled
No reviews yet.